John Day River Territory Culinary & Agritourism Studio
Agriculture & Culinary Tourism Development Workshops
In 2014, the Eastern Oregon Visitors Association secured a Travel Oregon matching to aid in the development of culinary and agritourism in the JDRT region. As a part of grant deliverables, EOVA and the JDRT Tourism Committee partnered with Destination Development to host a two-part workshop series designed to help regional entrepreneurs and businesses build on their current business or develop new culinary or agritourism ventures.
Part one of the workshop series were held in May 2015 in two locations, Condon and John Day. Intended outcomes of the interactive one and a half day workshop included:
- Familiarization with market trends related to agricultural and culinary tourism.
- Broadened understanding of the variety of visitor experiences based on culinary and agritourism assets, as well as the types of visitors who seek such experiences.
- Inspiration from examples of successful agricultural and culinary tourism businesses and creative partnerships.
- Education on existing state and regional efforts to develop and promote agricultural and culinary tourism.
- Question and answer session with local experts in the policies, regulations, and licenses affecting agritourism and culinary tourism businesses.
- Overview of practical financial planning tools for new ventures.
- Understanding how to craft a compelling story and visual images for visitors
- Exploration of opportunities for collaboration to build a critical mass of visitor draws.
Workshop Part 1 Presentations and Notes:
Janet Dodson, Project Coordinator, John Day River Territory, firstname.lastname@example.org or 541.786.800
Elena Vizzini, Destination Development Coordinator, Travel Oregon, Elena@TravelOregon.com or 971.717.6204