Sustainable Travel Resources
Here you’ll find an ever-expanding list of the most current organizations, resources, research and contacts to help your tourism business or organization increase its sustainability. If you have a resource you think should be included here, please contact Harry Dalgaard, Travel Oregon’s Destination Development Specialist.
Sustainable Tourism — General Support and Information
- Global Sustainable Tourism Council
- International Ecotourism Society
- National Geographic’s Center for Sustainable Destinations
- Sustainable Travel International
- Travel Green (U.S. Travel Association)
- World Tourism Organization – Sustainable Development of Tourism
Business Assistance for Sustainability
- Energy Trust of Oregon, Business Energy Solutions
- Energy Saving Ideas for Lodging and Hospitality
- Energy Saving Ideas for Restaurants
- Green Lodging Partners
- The City of Portland’s BEST Business Center
- Metro Recycle at Work
- Marion County’s EarthWISE Business Assistance Program
- Gresham Resource Efficiency Assistance to Businesses (City of Gresham)
- 3E Strategies
Sustainable Business Certifications Recognized in the Oregon Sustainable Business Challenge
- Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary Program - Serving golf courses
- Audubon Green Leaf Eco-Rating Program - Serving lodging facilities
- Earth Advantage Commercial - Currently seeking pilots, this program is intended to target commercial properties under 50,000 square feet.
- EarthWISE Certification - Serving businesses in Marion County
- Food Alliance - Serving farms and ranches
- Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) - Applicable to print shops
- Green Coach Certification - Serving motor coach operators
- Green Restaurant Association - Serving eating establishments
- Green Seal - Serving lodging operations of all sizes
- Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED), U.S. Green Building Council - Applicable to any facility (could apply to lodging properties, attractions or restaurants)
- Low Input Viticulture & Enology, Inc. (LIVE) - Serving vineyards, wineries and wines
- Oregon Bed & Breakfast Guild’s Green Inspection Program - Serving B&B Guild members
- Oregon Certified Sustainable Wine - Applicable to wine produced in Oregon
- Oregon Tilth - Serving farms, ranches restaurants and retailers. Accredited by the USDA National Organic Program.
- Portland Climate Champions (City of Portland) - Applicable to any business in the City of Portland
- ReSport Certification by Council for Responsible Sport - Applicable to mass participation sporting events. Only Silver or Gold levels qualify.
- Salmon Safe - Applicable to vineyards, farms, parks and open spaces, corporate and university campuses and golf courses.
- Sustainable Tourism Eco-Certification Program (STEP) - Applicable to any tourism-related business of any size. Must achieve two stars or higher to qualify.
Carbon Management and Carbon Offset Solutions
Guidelines for Responsible Travel
- From the Global Sustainable Tourism Council
- Leave No Trace - Principles for the Backcountry
- Leave No Trace — Outdoor Ethics for the Frontcountry
General Sustainable Business News & Information
Want more information about Sustainable Travel Resources?
If you have additional questions or comments about Sustainable Travel Resources, please contact the appropriate member of the Travel Oregon staff listed below.