Since the first wine grapes were planted in the state 55 years ago, Oregon is now recognized as one of the world’s elite winemaking regions. With 18 designated wine growing areas located in four diverse regions, Oregon boasts nearly 700 wineries producing wine from dozens of grape varieties.
Oregon’s wines have benefited from the state’s varied but accommodating climate and unique terroirs. Most of its wineries are small and family owned, many producing fewer than 5,000 cases annually. They can be found sprinkled along country roads, tucked into mountain foothills, situated high above vineyards with breathtaking views of the landscape and now in downtown storefronts on historic main streets.
Oregon’s 500 wine tasting rooms are worth the pilgrimage.
All of this made wine touring one of Oregon’s top draws. In 2013 (the most recent year for which statistics are available), wine-related tourism contributed an estimated $208 million in revenues to the Oregon economy.
Oregon wines are available online, at restaurants and from fine wine stores throughout the U.S. and around the world, but there are many small-batch offerings only available at the wineries’ tasting rooms.
Oregon Wine Fact Facts:
- 18 AVAs
- 676 Wineries
- 1,027 Vineyards
- 70% produce less than 5,000 cases per year
- 72 varieties grown throughout the state
- 45% certified sustainable farming practices
- $3.3B contribution to Oregon economy per year
- Responsible for >17,000 Oregon jobs
- Sales are up 39% globally in past 3 years
Oregon Wines Fly Free Program:
When you travel to Oregon Wine Country, it’s easy to take a taste of Oregon home with you, thanks to the Oregon Wines Fly Free program offered by the Oregon Wine Board, Travel Oregon and Alaska Airlines.
- Check a case of wine (6 or 12 bottles) for free on your flight home on Alaska Airlines from Eugene, Medford, Portland, Redmond or Walla Walla, WA
- One free checked case per Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan member
- Mix and match or bring a whole case from your favorite Oregon winery
- Be sure to read this important information on how to pack your wine for travel
For more information on Oregon Wine, download the Oregon Wine Backgrounder or check out some of our favorite wine stories on TravelOregon.com: 7 Beautiful Vineyard Views in the Willamette Valley, Don’t-Miss Oregon Wineries, Southern Oregon Taster’s Tour, or Wines of the Gorge. See all of our wine stories here.
Download additional Oregon Wine Industry Talking Points.
Want more information about Oregon Wine?
If you have additional questions or comments about Oregon Wine, please contact the appropriate member of the Travel Oregon staff listed below.