Results of Phase One Action Team Implementation
Winter 2009 to Spring 2014
The Wallowa County Rural Tourism Studio resulted in the forwarding of key projects, including agritourism development, bicycle tourism development and heritage tourism development.
Culinary and Agritourism
Attendees of the Wallowa County Rural Tourism Studio identified culinary and agritourism as a priority impact area for the destination. Initial project work began with the desire to build upon the existing efforts of local farms, ranches and businesses to increase agritourism in the area.
Key project highlights include:
- Product development and market research for grass fed meats, a Slow Foods chapter and a CSA and farmers market network.
- Screening and discussion of a local food movement film by 36 participants in 2010.
- Development of a familiarization tour with 13 participating local businesses in 2010.
- Presentation of a food systems education workshop and follow-up workshops in 2011.
- AmeriCorp volunteer assigned to region to work on food systems assessment in 2011.
- Completion of Wallowa County Community Food Assessment in 2012.
- Selection as one of seven projects to receive funding through Travel Oregon Forever Fund for 2012 – 2013.
A case study on the Wallowa County community’s efforts to advance culinary and agritourism was developed by Write to Know Consulting in April 2014.