Results of Phase One Action Team Implementation
March 2011 – March 2013
The Oakridge Area Rural Tourism Studio resulted in the formation of action teams to forward key projects, new awareness of tourism development opportunities and resources and new connections across diverse sectors of the community.
Attendees of the Oakridge Area Rural Tourism Studio identified bicycle tourism as a priority impact area for the destination. While the community had been working for several years to develop bicycle tourism in the area, the Oakridge Area Rural Tourism Studio raised broader community awareness about the potential for economic development and brought a new, diverse mix of participants into the effort to build this tourism economy.
Key project highlights include:
- Formation of the Concierge/Tourism Ambassadors
- Formation of Bike Tourism Action Team
- Development of new products and services within six months of the Oakridge Area Rural Tourism Studio as well as new green initiatives by local businesses
- Travel Oregon published the “Mountain Bike Oregon” trip idea in February 2011 on TravelOregon.com to highlight the local assets and opportunities that were discussed during the workshops.
- Oakridge-based Mountain Bike Oregon event generated $1.2 million in visitor spending, according to a 2013 report produced by Linfield College and Central Oregon Research Services.
- International Mountain Biking Association held its regional summit in Oakridge in 2013.
A case study on the Oakridge Area community’s efforts to advance bicycle tourism was developed by Write to Know Consulting in February 2015.