Polk County Rural Tourism Studio
The Polk County Tourism Studio was developed in response to the destination’s desire to clarify its tourism identity and become a destination instead of a place that visitors passed through on the way to somewhere else.
In 2014 – 2015, the Polk County Tourism Studio focused on the mid-Willamette Valley suburban and rural communities of Independence, Monmouth, Dallas, Falls City, Willamina and the Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde.
In fall of 2019, the Polk County Tourism Studio community reconvened for the Food Trail Development Workshop, a workshop designed to develop and market the region’s premiere culinary and agricultural experiences as part of an Oregon Food Trail.
Bicycle Tourism Video
Ride Polk County
In Polk County, you can choose your own adventure. Whether you're seeking rolling hills or flat roads, in-town or out in the countryside, our routes are accessible year round and guaranteed to provide you with a picture perfect ride.
Polk County Tourism Studio Key Outcomes:
- 81 local tourism stakeholders and residents participated in ten workshops and networking sessions held between September 2014 and January 2015. Key topics included Community Networking, Regional Tourism Planning, Culinary and Agritourism Development, Cultural Heritage, Bicycle Tourism, Birding Tourism, Rural Tourism Marketing and Action Planning. Workshop notes, presentations, outreach materials and other resources are available on the Polk County Tourism Studio Resources page.
- Participants developed a 15-Year Community Tourism Vision for Polk County.
- The Polk County community received a $10,000 Tourism Studio Matching Grant from Travel Oregon to implement projects related to agritourism and bicycle tourism in 2015.
- Polk County Food Trail Development Workshop Presentation.
- Polk County Food Trail Development Workshop Notes.
For more information about the Polk County Rural Tourism Studio, contact Shawn Irvine at the City of Independence.
Polk County Rural Tourism Studio Impact Areas
Rural Tourism Studio
Workshops that help rural communities develop and offer high-value, authentic experiences to travelers—in a sustainable, manageable way.
Travel Oregon offers Rural Tourism Studios to help communities build their appeal as visitor destinations with on-the-ground guidance, training and support tailored to each destination’s unique offerings.