Tourism Breaks All-Time Record for Economic Impact and Jobs Numbers in Oregon
Salem, Ore. – May 4, 2015 – Just in time for National Travel and Tourism Week (May 2-10)—a celebration of the wide-ranging impacts of tourism–an independent report by Dean Runyan Associates estimates that travel spending, employment and earnings within the Oregon travel and tourism industry reached an all-time high in 2014.
“This report shows that the travel and tourism industry is a vital economic engine in Oregon that benefits all regions of the state,” said Todd Davidson, CEO of Travel Oregon. “This industry helped lead us out of the recession and is a critical asset for all Oregonians, particularly for those in rural communities, as it supports business expansion and job creation in local economies.”
The report, which provides detailed statewide, regional and county travel impact estimates, found:
- Visitors to Oregon generated $10.3 billion in revenue for the state in 2014. This 4.3 percent increase over 2013 marked the fifth consecutive year of growth.
- The state’s travel and tourism industry now employs more Oregonians than ever before with 101,100 employed in the industry.
- Travel-generated employment increased for the second consecutive year and is showing consistent growth with a 3.0 percent increase per year in employment since 2011.
- Since 2010, the industry has added 11,000 jobs, with 3,000 new jobs in 2014 alone.
- In 2014, 26.8 million people chose Oregon as an overnight destination in their travel (an increase of 2.1 percent over 2013, with 2 million of those visitors coming from international destinations).
These findings show that the positive growth in Oregon is in line with national trends, where last year, domestic and international visitors injected $927.9 billion into the United States’ economy and directly supported 8 million jobs, with one in every nine American jobs depending on the travel industry.
To read the report in its entirety, including specific regional and county breakouts, go to Industry.TravelOregon.com.
The Oregon Tourism Commission, dba Travel Oregon, works to enhance visitors’ experience by providing information, resources and trip planning tools that inspire travel and consistently convey the exceptional quality of Oregon. The commission improves Oregonians’ quality of life by strengthening economic impacts of the state’s $10.3 billion tourism industry that employs more than 101,000 Oregonians. www.TravelOregon.com