Oregon Wine Country License Plates Matching Grant Program
Since 2015, Travel Oregon has administered a program to make grant awards available to “tourism promotion agencies” for projects that promote wine and culinary tourism.
Funding for this matching grant program comes from a portion of sales of the Oregon Wine Country license plate. Since the program’s inception in 2015, more than $1.1 million has been awarded to support 59 wine and culinary tourism promotion projects.
Travel Oregon Awards More than $390,000 Through Oregon Wine Country License Plates Matching Grants
Learn more about the grant awardees and projects in the official press release linked below. Submissions for this grant cycle were received in September and awarded projects will be completed by May 31, 2024.Travel Oregon Awards More than $390,000 Through Oregon Wine Country License Plates Matching Grants
Eligible applicants for funding are limited to “Tourism Promotion Agencies” in Oregon.
ORS 320.300 defines “Tourism Promotion Agency” as:
- An incorporated nonprofit organization or governmental unit responsible for the tourism promotion of a destination on a year-round basis.
- A nonprofit entity that manages tourism-related economic development programs and projects.
- A regional or statewide association that represents entities that rely on tourism-related business for more than 50% of their total income.
Eligible projects or initiatives must provide for the improvement or expansion of the tourism economy in Oregon. Projects must promote wine and/or culinary tourism.
“Tourism promotion” is defined as:
- Advertising, publicizing or distributing information for the purpose of attracting and welcoming visitors.
- Conducting strategic planning and research necessary to stimulate future tourism development.
- Operating tourism promotion agencies (specific to wine and culinary tourism efforts).
- Marketing special events and festivals designed to attract visitors.
Interested in Learning More?
- Read more about the approved 2021-2022 grant projects
- Read more about the approved 2020-2021 grant projects
- Read more about the approved 2019-2020 grant projects
- Read more about the approved 2018-2019 grant projects
- Read more about the approved 2017-2018 grant projects
- Read more about the approved 2015-2016 grant projects
Read the full text of the Wine Country License Plates program rules as they are currently written in state law.