2023-2024 Oregon Wine Country License Plates Matching Grant Program
Applications will be accepted from Feb. 13-Mar. 13, 2023. Grant recipients will be announced on May 11, 2023.
With funding provided through sales of the Oregon Wine Country license plate, Travel Oregon administers a program to make grant awards available to “tourism promotion agencies” for projects that promote wine and culinary tourism.
Eligible applicants include those that are “Tourism Promotion Agencies” in Oregon. ORS 320.300 defines “Tourism Promotion Agency” as:
- An incorporated nonprofit organization or governmental unit responsible for the tourism promotion of a destination on a year-round basis.
- A nonprofit entity that manages tourism-related economic development programs and projects.
- A regional or statewide association that represents entities that rely on tourism-related business for more than 50% of their total income.
If you are uncertain if you meet the eligible applicant criteria, reach out to Travel Oregon at email@example.com or call 971-352-6719.
Eligible projects or initiatives must provide for the improvement or expansion of the tourism economy in Oregon. Projects must promote wine and/or culinary tourism. “Tourism promotion” is defined as:
- Advertising, publicizing or distributing information for the purpose of attracting and welcoming visitors.
- Conducting strategic planning and research necessary to stimulate future tourism development.
- Operating tourism promotion agencies (specific to wine and culinary tourism efforts).
- Marketing special events and festivals designed to attract visitors.
The project is intended to increase the likelihood of visitation from 50 miles outside the local area. Though it is not a requirement, ideally, the project will lead to an increase of overnight stays in local lodging facilities. Partnerships with tourism entities and businesses, economic development and/or government entities are looked upon favorably and strengthen an application.
The following project types will be given preference in funding
- Print/broadcast advertising.
- Digital advertising, including social media and search.
- Bolstering marketing presence in target markets or maintaining a presence in existing markets.
- Content development that supports tourism marketing, including photography and video.
- Familiarization tour support.
- Marketing of wine/culinary events.
- Strategic planning/research or feasibility studies to stimulate future tourism development.
- Planning or marketing initiatives that address seasonality and/or recovery or resiliency from wildfire/climate change issues.
- Projects that emphasize strengthening diversity, equity or inclusion.
To Get Started
- Review the complete 2023-2024 Oregon Wine Country License Plates Matching Grant Guidelines available on the Application Documents page.
- Feb. 13, 2023 (8 a.m. PST) – Online application opens.
- March 13, 2023 (5 p.m. PST) – Online application closes.
- May 11, 2023 – Oregon Wine Country Plates Grant application status notification (work can officially begin).
- May 31, 2024 – Project complete and Grant Accomplishment Report submitted to Travel Oregon.