World Athletics Championships Oregon22 Toolkit
The World Athletics Championships Oregon22 will be held in Eugene, Oregon July 15-24.
Oregon22 is one of the largest sporting events in the world, with approximately 2,000 athletes from more than 200 nations competing for 49 gold medals.
This will be the first time in history that the event is held in the U.S. The opportunity for Oregon to host this event is monumental.
Travel Oregon Funding
To date, Travel Oregon has entered into funding agreements with Oregon 22, LLC totaling $20 million with $10 million in the form of a large competitive grant and the remainder coming from Travel Oregon’s marketing budget.
At the direction of the governor’s office, Travel Oregon applied to the Economic Development Administration (EDA) on Sept. 23, 2021 to allocate Oregon’s State Tourism Grant fund of $9.15M toward promotional efforts and broadcast opportunities leading up to, and during the World Athletics Championships Oregon22.
The application was successful. Travel Oregon is in the process of working through the Grant Administration Plan with the EDA. The grant has not yet been funded.
Looking for inspirational story ideas, b-roll or images highlighting Oregon22? We’re here to help.
Everything You Need to Know About Oregon22
Two thousand of the best track and field athletes, representing 200 nations, will come together in a celebration of human potential and athletic achievement this summer. The World Athletic Championships will be held at the reimagined Hayward Field in Eugene, Oregon. This is the first time the U.S. will host this prestigious event.
Top Trail-Running Spots in Oregon
Whether its running on dirt trails through lush evergreen forests, on woodchips along the banks of a rushing river or pushing pavement in a city, there is no shortage of scenic running trails for all levels throughout the entire state of Oregon. Read this story to get the insider’s track on some of the top running spots around the state.
The Magic of Track Town
Running is in Oregon’s DNA. The birthplace of Nike, TrackTown USA (aka Eugene) is the heartbeat of Oregon’s running culture and Hayward Field is considered hallowed ground by track and field athletes worldwide. Today, you can run along the Steve Prefontaine Memorial Jogging Trail, visit the sites of several films made about Pre, and celebrate the legacy of Bowerman and other legends and Olympians at Hayward Hall, adjacent to Hayward Field.
Wellness Getaway to Eugene
Close to nature yet with all the conveniences of a vibrant, funky and eclectic city, Eugene is the perfect place for an extended stay with your pod. You can find lodging focused on wellness, sample fresh locally sourced foods, and get active in the lush, green outdoors that earned Eugene the nickname Emerald City.
Road Trip: Willamette Valley
Looking for waterfalls, lavender farms, covered bridges and places to sip wine while petting alpacas? Take a road trip along one of Oregon’s Scenic Byways and taste your way along the South Willamette Valley Food Trail, Mid-Willamette Valley Food Trail, Central Coast Food Trail and other delicious spots for farm-fresh restaurants, farm stands, U-picks, culinary tours and more.
Broadcast-quality b-roll and high-res images
- Access our collection of broadcast-quality b-roll and high-resolution images showcasing the scenic beauty of Oregon and our running ethos.
- Access the Willamette Valley Collection.
- Access the Outdoor Recreation Collection.
- World Athletics Championships Oregon22
- Travel Lane County
- Willamette Valley Visitors Association
- Travel Oregon
- Welcome Kit (Shop accessories and apparel)
- Allison Keeney, Communications Manager, Travel Oregon — Inquiries related to story ideas, press rips and image/b-roll requests.
- Jessi Gabriel, Communications Director (Oregon22) — Inquiries related to the event (e.g., how many tickets have been sold, event logistics).
- Andy Vobora, VP of Stakeholder Relations (Travel Lane County) — Inquiries related to tourism in Eugene.
- Liz Merah, Press Secretary — Inquiries related to event funding and Governor’s Office.
- Charles Boyle, Deputy Communications Director — Inquiries related to Governor’s Office requests and communications.